Fulfillment


1.

First I gave up action,
Then idle words,
And lastly, thought itself.

Now I am here.

2.

Ridding my mind of distraction,
Single-pointed,
I shut out sound and all the senses,
And I am here.

3.

Meditation is needed
Only when the mind is distracted
By false imagining.

Knowing this,
I am here.

4.

Without joy or sorrow,
Grasping nothing, spurning nothing,
O Master, I am here.

5.

What do I care
If I observe or neglect
The four stages of life?

Meditation,
Controlling the mind,
These are mere distractions!

Now I am here.

6.

Doing, or not doing,
Both come from not knowing.

Knowing this fully,
I am here.

7.

Thinking
Of what is beyond thinking
Is still thinking.

I gave up thinking,
And I am here.

8.

Whoever fulfills this
Fulfills his own nature,
And is indeed fulfilled.